From the candy to the costumes, trick-or-treating is a highlight of the season for kids. Halloween is the one night of the year when kids venture out and enjoy themselves by the thousands. Parents may take the opportunity to give their kids a little more freedom than they normally would. Unfortunately, whether or not parents join their kids on the candy trail, it can be a dangerous night if they aren’t careful. Krav Maga Worldwide, one of the nations leading self-defense organizations, has provided 7 Trick-Or-Treating Halloween Safety Tips for parents to keep in mind before heading out the door this Halloween.
Trick-Or-Treating Halloween Safety Tips
- Talk to kids about knowing their surroundings. This is the most important lesson to teach kids. By explaining to them that they need to be fully aware when they are alone can avert dangerous situations from happening. One example of this can be telling your kids to leave headphones off when walking around the neighborhood. Explain that using all of your senses is very important.
- Practice the buddy system and stay in groups. Be sure to tell your child how important it is to stay with the group and not to venture off alone.
- Do not associate with strangers or enter a stranger’s home. Inform your child about the tricks used by predators. Tricks such as an emergency trick where the predator tricks the child into thinking there is an emergency and the child must go with the predator. Make sure your kids know that in an emergency you will contact them, and that they are your number one priority. Also, explain that if something were to happen a family member or trusted friend would contact them with a special family code word.
- Plan a route ahead of time and choose a meeting time and spot. This comes in handy if a child is separated from the group.
- Be mindful of costumes: Comfortable shoes, flame retardant costume, prop safety, forgo masks and use face paint for better sight and breathing.
- Also, in the event your child is separated, before going out, put your name and number on your child’s hand and seal it with liquid Band-Aid so it stays put.
- Send kids with a reflector strip, glow sticks, or flash lights.
About Krav Maga Worldwide
Founded in 1997 to promote Krav Maga throughout the United States and around the world, Krav Maga Worldwide trains and certifies instructors and licenses over 150 authorized Krav Maga Worldwide training centers in the United States, Canada, Japan, Mexico, South America, and Europe, as well as over 800 law enforcement agencies and military units. Krav Maga offers the highest caliber of instruction to thousands of people, supporting the company’s core commitment to improving and saving lives. Krav Maga Worldwide continues to develop, promote and implement self-defense and fitness programs. For additional information, visit: www.kravmaga.com.
Don't forget to visit me on my Facebook Page | Twitter Account | Instagram | Pinterest Page! and don't forget to check out my Youtube Channel ♥
Sharing is Caring! 🙂
I’m a Gramma to a beautiful, funny, smart little girl who was born in July of 2014. She’s the joy of my family and I’m so very proud to be a gramma (an alternate spelling for grandma)! I am a coffee, music, movie and outdoor lover! I love festivals and concerts. Spending time with my family is the best time in my life. I love my blogging job and all it has given me.