I feel sick knowing that Texas has had their own Katrina, called Harvey! I went though this 12 years ago! We needed the help and we received it, so please do what you can to help out the people in Texas. Aren’t sure where to start to help? Tax-exempt charities that have indicated they are accepting Harvey-specific donations include:
- American Red Cross. To make a financial donation, visit the their website, call 1.800.RED CROSS or text HARVEY to 90999 to make a $10 donation for those in need.
- Catholic Charities of USA. To make a financial donation, visit CCUSA’s disaster-specific website or text 71777 to make a donation.
- Global Giving. To make a financial donation, visit their website or text HARVEY to 80100 to donate $10 to Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund.
- Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund. Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner has established the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund that will accept tax deductible donations. The fund is administered by the Greater Houston Community Foundation, a 501(c)(3) public charity. To make a financial donation, visit the GHCF website.
- Salvation Army. To make a financial donation, visit www.helpsalvationarmy.org, call 1.800.SAL ARMY, or text STORM to 51555.
(Please note that these are not endorsements of a specific charity. If you’re not a fan of those organizations listed, there are many other charities which would welcome your support.)
Corporate donor sites and giving challenges include:
- GoFundMe has created a landing page that aggregates the campaigns already created to help those affected by Harvey.
- Starbucks has donated $250,000 to relief efforts. Customers in any U.S. company-operated store who want to help can make a donation to the American Red Cross at the register. Additionally, Starbucks employees who make a personal contribution to the relief efforts can request matching funds through the company’s Partner Match program (pro tip: ask your company if they have a donor match program). More details can be found here.
- United Airlines will match the first $100,000 raised through its charitable campaign. United MileagePlus members who donate a minimum of $50 to any of United’s charitable partners will receive up to 1,000 bonus miles (details, which download as a pdf, are here). Remember that for tax purposes, if you receive something of value in exchange for a donation, your charitable deduction must be reduced accordingly.
In addition to financial donations, what else can you do?
- Second Harvest is accepting pull top can goods and other necessities. Remember no electricity, they can’t open cans. Personal necessities and more. I’ll post a list after I get one.
- Austin Pets Alive is seeking families that can foster cats and large dogs. In addition to cash donations, the organization can also use in-kind donations like large plastic or metal bins with lids. Space for some items is limited so check with the organization first before you gather supplies. If you can help with fostering or in-kind donations, check out their website for details.
- The SPCA of Texas has also put out a call for foster homes to help care for the animals already in shelters and those coming from the Gulf Coast. You can sign up at www.spca.org/foster. The organization is also accepting financial donations and in-kind donations, including cat litter, litter boxes, towels, blankets, large wire crates, toys, treats, pet beds, newspaper and gas gift cards.
- Donations of blood are also needed. You can’t claim a tax deduction for giving blood but it sure is a terrific way to help. Find your nearest donation center by entering your zip code here.
If you know of other specific requests, please let me know by leaving them in the comments below, send an email (contact email is in the header). I’ll make updates to this post as information becomes available.
Don't forget to visit me on my Facebook Page | Twitter Account | Instagram | Pinterest Page! and don't forget to check out my Youtube Channel ♥
Sharing is Caring! 🙂
I’m a Gramma to a beautiful, funny, smart little girl who was born in July of 2014. She’s the joy of my family and I’m so very proud to be a gramma (an alternate spelling for grandma)! I am a coffee, music, movie and outdoor lover! I love festivals and concerts. Spending time with my family is the best time in my life. I love my blogging job and all it has given me.